PREP: 10 MINUTES | PREHEAT: 4 MINUTES | COOK: 48 MINUTES | MAKES: 4-6 SERVINGS
90ml Dijon mustard
90ml vegetable oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
1.8kg whole chicken cut in half or whole spatchcocked chicken
800g mixture of root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, cut into 4-5cm lengths
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
½ tsp sea salt
1. In a bowl, mix all ingredients except chicken. Coat chicken on all sides with mustard rub and reserve.
2. Plug probe into unit. Insert pot into unit and close lid. Select ROAST, set temperature to 180°C, then select PRESET. The unit will default to CHICKEN WELL, to cook to a food safe temperature. Select START/STOP to begin preheating.
3. While unit is preheating, insert probe into centre of chicken breast.
4. When unit beeps to signify it has preheated, place chicken, skin-side down, in the pot. Close lid over probe cord.
5. When unit beeps to signal the chicken needs to be flipped, turn chicken over, coat with more rub and add vegetables, making sure they are coated in the hot fat mixture. Sprinkle with thyme leaves and sea salt. Close lid to continue cooking.
6. When unit beeps to signal the chicken is done cooking, use oven mitts to remove probe from the chicken. Then transfer chicken to a cutting board and allow to rest covered for 10 minutes before serving.
7. Meanwhile, check if the vegetables are cooked enough, if not, select ROAST, set temperature to 180°C and set time to 10 minutes. Select preheat to cancel. Select START/STOP to begin.
8. Once the vegetables are cooked, serve with chicken.