PREP: 15 MINUTES | PREHEAT: 5 MINUTES | COOK: 18 MINUTES | MAKES: 3-4 SERVINGS
320g ready rolled butter puff pastry
1 tbsp olive oil
500g filet of beef
Ground black pepper to taste
75g smooth chicken liver pate
1 egg, beaten for glazing
1. Line crisper basket with baking parchment. Unroll pastry and cut off one third. If necessary, roll out a third of the pastry, just slightly larger than the length and width of the beef fillet. Place on crisper basket and prick well with a fork. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Insert cooking pot in unit and close lid. Select BAKE, set temperature to 180°C and set time to 8 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin preheating.
3. When the unit beeps to signify it has preheated, place crisper basket in cooking pot. Close lid and cook for 8 minutes, or until brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan over a high heat. Season the beef with freshly ground black pepper, then put in the pan and sear for 1 minute on each side, until browned all over. Set aside to cool.
5. Place cooled beef on top of pastry. Cover top and sides with pate paste. Lay the remaining rolled out pastry over the top, tucking it under the pastry base to secure. Slice any trimmings into lengths and lay over the top to create a diamond effect, then brush the pastry all over with the beaten egg.
6. Plug probe into unit. Insert pot into unit and close lid. Select ROAST, set temperature to 180°C, then select PRESET. Use the arrows to the right of the display to select BEEF, then arrows on left to select MED RARE or your preferred doneness. Select START/STOP to begin preheating.
7. While unit is preheating, insert probe into centre of beef.
8. When unit beeps to signify it has preheated, place beef in crisper basket, in the pot. Close lid over probe cord.
9. When unit beeps to signal the beef is almost done cooking, use oven gloves to remove probe from the beef. Then transfer beef wellington to a board and allow to rest up to 10 minutes before serving.