PREP: 40 MINS PLUS 1 HOUR 40 MINS PROVING | TOTAL COOK TIME: 28 MINUTES | MAKES: 1 LOAF (8-10 SERVINGS) | APPROX.STEAM BUILD: 15 MINUTES | STEAM BREAD TIME: 12 MINUTES
375g strong white flour
5g instant yeast
40g caster sugar
90ml warm whole milk
3 large eggs
150g salted butter, cubed and softened
Soft butter for greasing1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- In a stand mixer, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, milk and 3 eggs. Knead on a low speed until a smooth dough forms. Turn up the speed to medium and mix for 8-10 minutes.
- Gradually add the softened butter on a medium speed, a few cubes at a time until all the butter is mixed in, this may take 5 minutes. Scrap down the sides of bowl to ensure all the butter is incorporated. The dough will be very soft.
- Cover bowl and leave in fridge overnight or for 8-10 hours until it’s firm.
- Divide dough into 7 even pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. (The dough is sticky, and some extra flour may help roll out balls).
- Grease basket. Cut baking parchment in a circle to fit and line bottom of basket. Arrange 6 buns around the sides of basket and 1 in middle. Add 250ml water to the pot. Place in pot. Close lid. Move slider to the AIR FRY/STOVE TOP position.
- Select PROVE, set temp to 35°C and set time to 1hour 40 mins. Press START/STOP to begin the rise. After 1 hour 40 minutes, check the dough to make sure it has doubled in size. Brush top of brioche with egg wash. Close the lid and move slider to the middle position.
- Select STEAM BREAD, set temperature to 160°Cand set time to 12 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin cooking (this will STEAM for approximately 15 minutes before switching to STEAM BREAD).
- When cooking is complete, the surface of the bread will be crusty and brown. Carefully remove the Cook& Crisp™ basket from the pot. Allow the bread to cool for about 30 minutes before slicing.