PREP: 10 MINUTES | TOTAL COOK TIME: 4 HOURS |MAKES: 8-10 SERVINGS
1.4–1.8 kg boneless pork shoulder, trimmed, fat removed
Mexican spice blend, as desired
1 whole pineapple, peeled, core removed, cut in 1 ½ cm rings
1 can (180 mL) pineapple juice
1 large white onion, peeled, diced small
½ cup chopped coriander
24 corn tortillas, warmed
Lime wedges, for garnish.
- Plug smart probe into unit. To install the grill grate, position it flat on top of the heating element and gently press down until it sits into place.
- Liberally season pork on all sides with Mexican spice blend. Insert smart probe horizontally into the centre of the thickest part of the pork. Place the pork and pineapple on the grill grate, then close the hood.
- While holding the smoke box lid open, use the pellet scoop to pour pellets into the smoke box until filled to the top. Then close the smoke box lid.
- Turn dial to SMOKER and set temperature to 120°C. To set the probe, select MANUAL and set temperature to 95°C. Select START/STOP to begin cooking. (There is no preheat time for the Smoker function. Pellet ignition time will take 5-7 minutes before the cooking timer begins to count down.) Set an external timer to 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, open hood, remove pineapple and set aside. Close hood to continue cooking pork. Let pineapple cool, then chop into small pieces.
- When cooking is complete, turn unit off, leave hood closed, and let pork rest for 45 minutes to 1hour. Alternatively, remove food from grill, wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then shred the pork and toss in a large bowl with pineapple juice.
7.To build the tacos, layer the tortillas with pork, pineapple, onions, and coriander. Top with fresh lime juice.